Archive for category Facebook
Facebook and Twitter Offer Dealers New Ad Targeting Capabilities – Automotive Digital Marketing Professional Community
For the dominant social networks, the pressure is on. Facebook’s IPO cast a harsh light on its advertising revenue business models, which are not growing as fast as Wall Street had hoped. Twitter, on the other hand, has to prove that it has a business model for driving revenue that scales large enough to keep their doors open.
One way to add value to what is offered to advertisers and thus gain more ad dollars is to ramp up ad targeting, which both companies have done over the past few months. But while Twitter is playing it safe, Facebook is pushing the envelope with new tools, including corporate data base “Match-Back” services that could deliver the exact automotive consumers your dealership is looking for… But, could also bring the web equivalent of junk mail to your Facebook page.
Most Americans are accustomed to the rules of engagement for direct mail, which is very much an offline practice. (Subscribe to a new magazine? Don’t be surprised to see a raft of offers for credit cards in your mailbox.) But Facebook is allowing its big advertisers, including car companies and dealer groups to match the email addresses and phone numbers they’ve collected with Facebook profiles matching that data.
The move raises a number of privacy questions. When a consumer gives an email address or number to a marketer, there’s the expectation he will get communication from the brand. But what about when it comes to Facebook? “I don’t think anyone who has given an email and phone number to Facebook expected it to be used by Tide to target ads at them,” said Alan Chapell, an attorney who consults with ad-tech companies on privacy policies.
Facebook says it’s giving users two opportunities to opt out. First, a marketer must ask permission from customers to reach them on Facebook. Second, users can opt out by clicking a box on the ads themselves.
Twitter’s gentler approach
Twitter, which described its new targeting option as the biggest change to its ad capabilities since they were first introduced, is taking a more cautious approach. Twitter’s interest targeting includes 350 prepackaged categories, from the broad “pets” or “films” to more niche subcategories like “documentaries” and “Bollywood.”
The categories are not created from the content of tweets themselves, but from user actions on Twitter such as retweets and favorites, and whom users follow. If you follow Anthony Bourdain, for example, that’s a clue that you’re a foodie.
Unlike Facebook, Twitter is intrinsically public and users have no expectation of privacy. Yet Twitter’s approach to targeting is likely to be perceived as less invasive than, say, Google’s mining of search data or Gmail. “We have always been thoughtful and deliberate in how we roll out our advertising products and features,” a spokeswoman said in a statement. “This certainly applies to targeting as well.”
One could also argue that users have higher switching costs since many have spent years accumulating connections, photos and apps. That’s why we predict it will keep pushing the envelope until the scope of its business matches the ubiquity of its user base, and why the ad targeting has only just begun.
Facebook Infographic Source:
Twitter Infographic Source:
Guy Kawasaki and Infographic Showcase
Posted by Ralph Paglia in Automotive Digital Marketing, Automotive Marketing, Automotive Retail Management, Automotive Sales, Automotive Social Media, Best Practices, Car Dealers, Data Analysis, Dealer Training, Facebook, Google, Market Research, Marketing Research, Social Marketing on June 18, 2013
There are many dealers who have strong criticisms regarding Edmunds.com, but regardless of whether you consider Edmunds an asset or a liability to the retail auto industry there is little debate about their unique position within the vehicle buying process for many millions of automotive consumers…
The stark reality for car dealers seeking greater understanding of how car buyers shop online in 2013 is that Edmunds.com has the ability to paint a vivid portrait of today’s online car shopper… Which includes 9 out of 10 new and used vehicle buyers!
About 18 million visitors use the Edmunds.com site every month to shop for their next new or used car, and this gives the Edmunds team an unparalleled insight into the car buyer’s research and shopping process. For as many years as I can remember, Edmunds has used the online automotive consumer activity to generate extensive research data and analysis to drive the sort of car buying insights that would establish itself as one of the more valuable resources for car companies and dealers to better understand car shopping and the way buyers use automotive information. Historically, Edmunds has made the analysis and insights available to their business partners and to the public through academic inquiries and media requests. However, Edmunds has not previously assembled together the complete volume of current time period data and the analysis and insights gleaned in one coherent piece.
By publishing and making available the 2013 Edmunds.com Car Shopping Trends Report, they have provided the auto industry and especially dealers and automotive marketers with a true gem of a document. The report which ADM Professional Community members can download using the link at the bottom of this blog post, shows the results of extensive data mining within the Edmunds.com’s extensive database to reveal the most relevant car shopping and purchasing trends in America today. These trends offer direct clues toward ways that the automotive industry can move forward by empowering a more engaging car shopping experience.
Throughout the 2013 Edmunds.com Car Shopping Trends Report, you’ll also find references to a 2011 survey conducted by “Added Value” on behalf of Edmunds.com that asked 2,476 online car shoppers representing the U.S. car shopper population to describe their expectations for their next car purchase. Edmunds correlated these responses to real-world buying data to see if shopper expectations match reality. In preparing their analysis and conclusions, the Edmunds market research team found many striking consistencies between the two sets of market research data. These surprisingly strong correlations between the two reports suggest that car shoppers have a strong sense of the automotive marketplace and that they know how to set reasonable expectations around price, availability and product performance.
By evaluating this wealth of data provided by the Edmunds team, you will find a story about car shoppers that is often surprising and counter-intuitive to many dealers and automotive professionals. While at other times, the Edmunds data reinforces critical theories held by car dealers, automotive sales professionals and throughout the auto industry. Some of the key findings in the 2013 Edmunds.com Car Shopping Trends Report include:
- Two out of every three car shoppers consider themselves highly engaged in the car shopping process, and they turn to a variety of information to help them decide on a new or used car. Time spent on Edmunds.com is up 2 percent from 2011 to 2012. And the most-viewed elements by new car shoppers on Edmunds.com are reviews, pricing information and photos.
- Mobile access is becoming a powerful tool for car buyers. Traffic to Edmunds.com’s mobile site spikes on the weekends – and especially on Saturdays – when the bulk of car buying takes place.
- Shoppers are very good at anticipating how much they’ll pay for a new car. New car shoppers told us in 2011 that they plan to spend $30,500, on average, for their next vehicle. In fact the average transaction price for a new car the following year was $30,803.
- The average age of a new car buyer is about four years older than the average age of a used car buyer.
- Shoppers are turning to leases now more than ever. And the difference between the average monthly lease payment ($433) and the average monthly finance payment ($468) is greater than at any time since Edmunds.com started keeping records.
- About 44 percent of all trade-in vehicles last year went toward a new car by the same brand, which is consistent with our 2011 survey that found that 49 percent of shoppers say they “plan to stick with a brand that has worked in the past.”
- Luxury car owners and shoppers are buying and considering more nonluxury cars. The trend speaks to the improved quality of non-luxury vehicles.
- Many shoppers say they want just the basics in a new car, but emotions can drive buyers to add options. New car buyers are willing to spend an average of $2,200 – or about seven percent – above base model and trim prices to add more options on their cars.
The Edmunds.com’s 2013 Car Shopping Trends Report is intended to be a free resource for ADM Professional Community members who are interested in creating a better car buying experience. This is just the first in a series of reports that the Edmunds Research team hopes will shed more light on car shopping behavior. The team intends these findings to open up a dialogue which will contribute to the ongoing improvements within the automotive retail industry. They also want to encourage ADM Professional Community members to contact Edmunds at any time to discuss more ways that Edmunds.com can help you better understand today’s car shopper.
Here is a link to download a PDF version of the Edmunds.com’s 2013 Car Shopping Trends Report: http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/industry-center/…
Edmunds Points of Contact
For Dealer Inquiries: 855-EDMUNDS
For Press Inquiries:
Edmunds Annual New Vehicle Sales Forecast for 2013 and Historical Actual Sales:
- Edmunds Trawls for Car Buyers in Social
- Edmunds 2013 Car Shopping Trends Report
- Website Allows Car Shoppers to Survey Real Prices
- Edmunds.com exec: Car buying should be more like Amazon.com
- The Next Amazon: Edmunds.com?
- Contact at Once! Tells Dealers: Choose Your Chat Provider Wisely
- Competitive Advantage: Professional Networking for Car Dealers
- Internet Marketing Tree of Priorities for Car Dealers
- Digital Marketing Infographic Shows Priorities for Car Dealers
- Polk And Datalogix Extend Exclusive Digital Automotive Partnership Through 2016
You are currently browsing the archives for the Facebook category.
May 2018 S M T W T F S « Dec 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Category CloudAdvertising AutoCon AutoConnections Auto Industry Professionals Automotive Digital Marketing Automotive Management Automotive Marketing Automotive Retail Management Automotive Sales Automotive Social Media Automotive Suppliers Automotive Websites Best Practices Car Dealers Conference CRM Data Analysis Dealer Training Email Marketing Google Internet Sales Manager Marketing Data Marketing Research Mobile Marketing SEO Social Marketing Social Media Marketing TrueCar - ZAG Uncategorized ZMOT
- Swapalease.com Unveils Quarterly Auto Lease Trends Report for Q1 2018SWAPALEASE.COM UNVEILS QUARTERLY AUTO LEASE TRENDS REPORT FOR Q1 2018 Report Shows Fewer Dealer Incentives on New Leases Driving More Shoppers to Secondary Market Swapalease.com, the nation’s largest online car lease marketplace, today released its quarterly lease trends report for the first quarter, 2018. The report shows an increase in search activity acro […]John Sternal
- Roadside Assistance: 5 Steps to Take in an Auto BreakdownOver 30 million people have their cars break down while driving them in the United States annually. While it can be very frustrating, it can also be extremely dangerous if you do not take the right steps after your car breaks down. Here are five steps that you will want to take if your car breaks down while you are driving it. Warn Other Motorists The firs […]Lizzie Weakley
- Historical Impact of 2018 Spring on Car ValuesSpring is typically viewed as a strong season for dealers, since many people receive their tax rebate checks and immediately use them to purchase a used car or truck. This past spring season, which takes place between February 1 - May 1, four mainstream car segments increased on average by 3.0%: Sub-Compact Car +2.6% Compact Car +5.3% Mid-Size Car +3.1% Fu […]Black Book
- What Can We Learn From A $1000 Toilet Seat?In my recent travels I went to Tokyo and Kyoto in Japan. A few things struck me: just how space efficient and clean everything was. I visited the famous Tsukuji wholesale fish market. To my surprise, there was no smell of fish. The local sushi restaurant (where I lined up at 4 am for the 1st seating at 5 am) served their sushi on the countertop. Yes, the […]Ujj Nath
- Facebook Journeys: What Makes Customer Journey Data Valuable?At the recent 2018 F8 Developers Conference, Facebook introduced Facebook Journeys, a new enhancement to their Analytics, which will reportedly give businesses an omni-channel view of the customer journey from introduction to purchase… but does it? In their session, Facebook gave an example of a consumer (one of the speakers) who shared her journey towards b […]Steve White
- The VARK QuestionnaireHow Do I Learn Best? VARK Questionnaire version 7.1 Choose the answer which best explains your preference and click the box next to it. Please click more than one if a single answer does not match your perception. Leave blank any question that does not apply. Testimonials Our focused time with you did a fine job of heightening awareness and helped our leader […]Ralph Paglia
- How To Ensure Your Email Marketing Gets ThroughAs you know, email is a vital part of your marketing. But if your specially-crafted email campaigns don’t make it to your customers’ inboxes, your ROI will fall short. Following email deliver-ability best practices is more than making sure your customers receive your emails—it’s making sure that your emails aren’t marked as spam. To keep your domain or IP […]Graham Annett
- Outsourcing Customer Communications - Should the Service Department Worry?There are few things sales managers find more painful than looking into their CRM and finding unanswered sales leads -- whether those leads sat for hours or sometimes, days, each is a missed opportunity. That’s why there are so many outsourced BDC services that provide lead follow-up for dealers, ensuring customers receive a speedy, accurate response. And no […]Chris Miller
- How to Maintain the Gearbox and Driveline in Your Family CarYou may not give much thought to your car until it starts to have problems. Repairs can be costly and troublesome. Here are some of the ways that you can maintain the gearbox and driveline in your car. Practice Safe Driving Depending on the type of vehicle that you have, rapidly shifting between gears and erratic driving can be shortening its life expectancy […]Rachelle Wilber
- Are there too Many Chefs in Your Content Kitchen?One of the best ways to get your name out to your audience is through a consistent regimen of relevant educational content of interest to your audience. This helps position key people in your dealership or organization as industry thought leaders and gains indirect brand exposure. Doing this consistently can lead to news stories, conference speaking spots […]sara callahan
- To Text or Not to Text?Texting Strategy for Women Buyers Is texting part of your dealership’s communication strategy with women customers? Used properly, texting as a business practice is a direct and efficient way to communicate. Used improperly, it can cause annoyance and frustration. Read on to review the rules of proper texting etiquette, especially with your largest audience: […]Anne Fleming
- EdbMails EDB to PST ConverterEdbMails EDB to PST recovery tool - EDB Recovery provides a complete solution to recover Exchange Database (EDB) files. It supports public and private folder recovery. Now a day’s Microsoft Exchange Server is a popular Email Exchange Server because It stores all organization email in a different database or a single database. Features of EDB to PST Converter […]Steve Albert
- The Old Bucket of Bolts: How You Can Earn Some Extra Money From Your Old CarYour old car may seem like nothing but an eyesore or a pain to drive. However, there are many different ways in which you can make money from it as opposed to selling or trading it in its current condition. Using these strategies could turn a piece of junk into some spending money or a down payment on your next vehicle. Sell Parts from the Car Individually […]Lizzie Weakley
- Sporty Cars & Compact Vans UpWelcome to this week's edition of Black Book Market Insights, with in-depth analysis of used car and truck valuation trends and insights straight from the auction lanes. Click here to download the full report. This week’s Black Book Market Insights report offers the latest evidence that the spring season has come to an end, with cars and trucks seeing s […]Black Book
- Classic Restorations: Top Considerations When Restoring Your First Hot RodRestoring a hot rod can be a fun and rewarding project. To do it right, though, there are several things you’ll need to keep in mind. Here are four of the top things you should be considering when you set about your first hot rod restoration project. Finding a Source for Parts Depending on how old the car you’re restoring is, you may have a hard time finding […]Hannah Whittenly
- Military Lending Act: What Dealers & Lenders Must Know During Memorial DayWith the Memorial Day weekend coming up, I wanted to make you aware of some information and insight from Equifax regarding the Military Lending Act (MLA), and a few key things auto lenders and dealers should know when working with service members. According to Equifax: Dealers and lenders are still trying to better understand what they need to know about […]John Sternal
- The 5 Absolute Best Ways to Avoid Car AccidentsThe thought of being involved in a collision is enough to make many drivers think twice about getting behind the wheel of a car. And some drivers are so scared about car crashes that they refuse to drive farther than a mile from their home. This is no good. Obviously, you need to know exactly what to do if you are in an accident, such as taking photos of dam […]Dixie Somers
- Auto/Mate Announces Dates for its National Customer User Summit in San Antonio, TX; Issues Call for SponsorshipsALBANY, N.Y. – May 14, 2018 – Auto/Mate Dealership Systems (http://www.automate.com) today announced dates for its national Customer User Summit, scheduled for Nov. 7-9, 2018 in San Antonio, TX. The User Summit spans three days and features breakout sessions offering in-depth training on how to get the most out of Auto/Mate's dealership management syste […]Mike Esposito
- BLACK BOOK APRIL DEPRECIATION REPORT SHOWS NINE TOTAL VEHICLE SEGMENTS WITH AN INCREASE IN VALUE; FIVE OF WHICH WERE CARSAccording to Black Book® data, the average price of a used vehicle for model years 2012-2016 increased in value by +0.3% during April, fueled by a strong spring selling season for cars, also up +1.3%; trucks saw a decrease of -0.4% on the month. All vehicles are averaging a 12-month change of -15.1%. A total of nine vehicle segments increased in overall valu […]Black Book
- When It Comes to Service the Sky Should NOT be the LimitFor today’s consumers, time is the ultimate commodity. No matter how much money they have, consumers are always on the go with their busy lives. Whether that means shuttling the kids to soccer practice, or running a bunch of errands, when it comes to fitting vehicle service into their busy schedule it is often viewed as a large and inconvenient time sink. […]Ujj Nath
- Swapalease.com Unveils Quarterly Auto Lease Trends Report for Q1 2018
- December 2017
- November 2016
- August 2015
- June 2015
- January 2015
- July 2014
- April 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- August 2008
- Auto Industry Professionals
- Automotive Digital Marketing
- Automotive Management
- Automotive Marketing
- Automotive Product
- Automotive Retail Management
- Automotive Sales
- Automotive Social Media
- Automotive Suppliers
- Automotive Websites
- Best Practices
- Calls to Action
- Car Dealers
- Commercial Vehicles
- Data Analysis
- Dealer Management System
- Dealer Training
- Dealer Website
- Dealers United
- Digital Marketing Strategies Conference
- Dominion Dealer Solutions
- Email Marketing
- Help Wanted
- Internet Sales Manager
- Inventory Photos
- Managed Chat
- Market Research
- Marketing Data
- Marketing Metrics
- Marketing Research
- Mergers and Acduisitions
- Mobile Marketing
- News and politics
- QR Code
- Search Engine Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization
- Social Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- String Automotive
- Tax Incentives
- TrueCar – ZAG
- Vehicle Merchandising
- Website Lead Forms
- Women Certified
- Dealer service reaches new heights for ultra luxury car customers - klou.tt/dtiez5fb1mtf 5 hours ago
- The latest Car Dealer Group Daily! paper.li/RalphPaglia/13… 7 hours ago
- Weekly Roundup: The Ultimate Guide to Active Listening in Sales + More - klou.tt/14917ueyjxugz 9 hours ago
- What is Content Curation and When Should Your Business Use It? (via Envisager Studios) - klou.tt/1vsra2hwpuz7z 10 hours ago
- @leadvalets @RobMontoyaAZ thanks for the recent engagements! #ShareTheLove 10 hours ago
- Is Your Sales Manager Creating Turnover? customerthink.com/is-your-sales-… 11 hours ago
- The latest The Automotive Marketing Daily! paper.li/RalphPaglia/15… Thanks to @FlowFound @EarthDnD #carsales #automarketing 11 hours ago
- Digital Marketing News: Facebook Ad-Free Subscriptions, Google Tests SERP Questions, Online Ad Spend Jumps klou.tt/vrzdrm646v2f 13 hours ago
- Automotive Social Media Daily is out! paper.li/RalphPaglia/au… Stories via @BridgetAyers #tesla #crypto 16 hours ago
- Ralph Paglia Car Guy Daily News is out! paper.li/RalphPaglia?ed… Stories via @debmorello @michiganbuilt @Jill_Gregory #news #leadership 21 hours ago
- The latest Automotive Thought Leader Journal! paper.li/RalphPaglia/au… Thanks to @AutoAves #automotive #autoretail 22 hours ago
- Why You Should Add Reputation Management to your Digital Marketing Strategy - klou.tt/wksoojn62ez9 1 day ago
- The latest Car Dealer Group Daily! paper.li/RalphPaglia/13… #automotive 1 day ago
- Is Your Sales Manager Creating Turnover? - klou.tt/1gcrfq5b70cz5 1 day ago
- This Week: The 10 Most Talked About TV Ads On Social • Creative Campaigns • WeRSM - We are - klou.tt/18j0tlgr5d15c 1 day ago
- Google is coming after Amazon in the smart home market - klou.tt/1ctd1v1qv7b84 1 day ago
- Does Your Dealership Have a Formalized Process? centerforperformanceimprovement.com/blog/2017/9/6/… #automotive 1 day ago
- The latest The Automotive Marketing Daily! paper.li/RalphPaglia/15… Thanks to @AutoRaptor #automarketing #cardealers 1 day ago
- Trust is now critical in any buying process (via Passle) klou.tt/wfvybbrynk0j 1 day ago
- Check out "How To Ensure Your Email Marketing Gets Through" via @ADMcommunity: automotivedigitalmarketing.com/profiles/blogs… 1 day ago