Archive for category Facebook
Facebook and Twitter Offer Dealers New Ad Targeting Capabilities – Automotive Digital Marketing Professional Community
For the dominant social networks, the pressure is on. Facebook’s IPO cast a harsh light on its advertising revenue business models, which are not growing as fast as Wall Street had hoped. Twitter, on the other hand, has to prove that it has a business model for driving revenue that scales large enough to keep their doors open.
One way to add value to what is offered to advertisers and thus gain more ad dollars is to ramp up ad targeting, which both companies have done over the past few months. But while Twitter is playing it safe, Facebook is pushing the envelope with new tools, including corporate data base “Match-Back” services that could deliver the exact automotive consumers your dealership is looking for… But, could also bring the web equivalent of junk mail to your Facebook page.
Most Americans are accustomed to the rules of engagement for direct mail, which is very much an offline practice. (Subscribe to a new magazine? Don’t be surprised to see a raft of offers for credit cards in your mailbox.) But Facebook is allowing its big advertisers, including car companies and dealer groups to match the email addresses and phone numbers they’ve collected with Facebook profiles matching that data.
The move raises a number of privacy questions. When a consumer gives an email address or number to a marketer, there’s the expectation he will get communication from the brand. But what about when it comes to Facebook? “I don’t think anyone who has given an email and phone number to Facebook expected it to be used by Tide to target ads at them,” said Alan Chapell, an attorney who consults with ad-tech companies on privacy policies.
Facebook says it’s giving users two opportunities to opt out. First, a marketer must ask permission from customers to reach them on Facebook. Second, users can opt out by clicking a box on the ads themselves.
Twitter’s gentler approach
Twitter, which described its new targeting option as the biggest change to its ad capabilities since they were first introduced, is taking a more cautious approach. Twitter’s interest targeting includes 350 prepackaged categories, from the broad “pets” or “films” to more niche subcategories like “documentaries” and “Bollywood.”
The categories are not created from the content of tweets themselves, but from user actions on Twitter such as retweets and favorites, and whom users follow. If you follow Anthony Bourdain, for example, that’s a clue that you’re a foodie.
Unlike Facebook, Twitter is intrinsically public and users have no expectation of privacy. Yet Twitter’s approach to targeting is likely to be perceived as less invasive than, say, Google’s mining of search data or Gmail. “We have always been thoughtful and deliberate in how we roll out our advertising products and features,” a spokeswoman said in a statement. “This certainly applies to targeting as well.”
One could also argue that users have higher switching costs since many have spent years accumulating connections, photos and apps. That’s why we predict it will keep pushing the envelope until the scope of its business matches the ubiquity of its user base, and why the ad targeting has only just begun.
Facebook Infographic Source:
Twitter Infographic Source:
Guy Kawasaki and Infographic Showcase
Posted by Ralph Paglia in Automotive Digital Marketing, Automotive Marketing, Automotive Retail Management, Automotive Sales, Automotive Social Media, Best Practices, Car Dealers, Data Analysis, Dealer Training, Facebook, Google, Market Research, Marketing Research, Social Marketing on June 18, 2013
There are many dealers who have strong criticisms regarding Edmunds.com, but regardless of whether you consider Edmunds an asset or a liability to the retail auto industry there is little debate about their unique position within the vehicle buying process for many millions of automotive consumers…
The stark reality for car dealers seeking greater understanding of how car buyers shop online in 2013 is that Edmunds.com has the ability to paint a vivid portrait of today’s online car shopper… Which includes 9 out of 10 new and used vehicle buyers!
About 18 million visitors use the Edmunds.com site every month to shop for their next new or used car, and this gives the Edmunds team an unparalleled insight into the car buyer’s research and shopping process. For as many years as I can remember, Edmunds has used the online automotive consumer activity to generate extensive research data and analysis to drive the sort of car buying insights that would establish itself as one of the more valuable resources for car companies and dealers to better understand car shopping and the way buyers use automotive information. Historically, Edmunds has made the analysis and insights available to their business partners and to the public through academic inquiries and media requests. However, Edmunds has not previously assembled together the complete volume of current time period data and the analysis and insights gleaned in one coherent piece.
By publishing and making available the 2013 Edmunds.com Car Shopping Trends Report, they have provided the auto industry and especially dealers and automotive marketers with a true gem of a document. The report which ADM Professional Community members can download using the link at the bottom of this blog post, shows the results of extensive data mining within the Edmunds.com’s extensive database to reveal the most relevant car shopping and purchasing trends in America today. These trends offer direct clues toward ways that the automotive industry can move forward by empowering a more engaging car shopping experience.
Throughout the 2013 Edmunds.com Car Shopping Trends Report, you’ll also find references to a 2011 survey conducted by “Added Value” on behalf of Edmunds.com that asked 2,476 online car shoppers representing the U.S. car shopper population to describe their expectations for their next car purchase. Edmunds correlated these responses to real-world buying data to see if shopper expectations match reality. In preparing their analysis and conclusions, the Edmunds market research team found many striking consistencies between the two sets of market research data. These surprisingly strong correlations between the two reports suggest that car shoppers have a strong sense of the automotive marketplace and that they know how to set reasonable expectations around price, availability and product performance.
By evaluating this wealth of data provided by the Edmunds team, you will find a story about car shoppers that is often surprising and counter-intuitive to many dealers and automotive professionals. While at other times, the Edmunds data reinforces critical theories held by car dealers, automotive sales professionals and throughout the auto industry. Some of the key findings in the 2013 Edmunds.com Car Shopping Trends Report include:
- Two out of every three car shoppers consider themselves highly engaged in the car shopping process, and they turn to a variety of information to help them decide on a new or used car. Time spent on Edmunds.com is up 2 percent from 2011 to 2012. And the most-viewed elements by new car shoppers on Edmunds.com are reviews, pricing information and photos.
- Mobile access is becoming a powerful tool for car buyers. Traffic to Edmunds.com’s mobile site spikes on the weekends – and especially on Saturdays – when the bulk of car buying takes place.
- Shoppers are very good at anticipating how much they’ll pay for a new car. New car shoppers told us in 2011 that they plan to spend $30,500, on average, for their next vehicle. In fact the average transaction price for a new car the following year was $30,803.
- The average age of a new car buyer is about four years older than the average age of a used car buyer.
- Shoppers are turning to leases now more than ever. And the difference between the average monthly lease payment ($433) and the average monthly finance payment ($468) is greater than at any time since Edmunds.com started keeping records.
- About 44 percent of all trade-in vehicles last year went toward a new car by the same brand, which is consistent with our 2011 survey that found that 49 percent of shoppers say they “plan to stick with a brand that has worked in the past.”
- Luxury car owners and shoppers are buying and considering more nonluxury cars. The trend speaks to the improved quality of non-luxury vehicles.
- Many shoppers say they want just the basics in a new car, but emotions can drive buyers to add options. New car buyers are willing to spend an average of $2,200 – or about seven percent – above base model and trim prices to add more options on their cars.
The Edmunds.com’s 2013 Car Shopping Trends Report is intended to be a free resource for ADM Professional Community members who are interested in creating a better car buying experience. This is just the first in a series of reports that the Edmunds Research team hopes will shed more light on car shopping behavior. The team intends these findings to open up a dialogue which will contribute to the ongoing improvements within the automotive retail industry. They also want to encourage ADM Professional Community members to contact Edmunds at any time to discuss more ways that Edmunds.com can help you better understand today’s car shopper.
Here is a link to download a PDF version of the Edmunds.com’s 2013 Car Shopping Trends Report: http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/industry-center/…
Edmunds Points of Contact
For Dealer Inquiries: 855-EDMUNDS
For Press Inquiries:
Edmunds Annual New Vehicle Sales Forecast for 2013 and Historical Actual Sales:
- Edmunds Trawls for Car Buyers in Social
- Edmunds 2013 Car Shopping Trends Report
- Website Allows Car Shoppers to Survey Real Prices
- Edmunds.com exec: Car buying should be more like Amazon.com
- The Next Amazon: Edmunds.com?
- Contact at Once! Tells Dealers: Choose Your Chat Provider Wisely
- Competitive Advantage: Professional Networking for Car Dealers
- Internet Marketing Tree of Priorities for Car Dealers
- Digital Marketing Infographic Shows Priorities for Car Dealers
- Polk And Datalogix Extend Exclusive Digital Automotive Partnership Through 2016
You are currently browsing the archives for the Facebook category.
August 2017 S M T W T F S « Nov 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Category CloudAdvertising AutoCon AutoConnections Auto Industry Professionals Automotive Digital Marketing Automotive Management Automotive Marketing Automotive Retail Management Automotive Sales Automotive Social Media Automotive Suppliers Automotive Websites Best Practices Car Dealers Conference CRM Data Analysis Dealer Training Email Marketing Google Internet Sales Manager Marketing Data Marketing Research Mobile Marketing SEO Social Marketing Social Media Marketing TrueCar - ZAG Uncategorized ZMOT
- Auto Tech: How Modern Technology is Impacting the Automobile IndustryToday's automobile industry landscape is exciting... Car manufacturers are embedding connectivity and sensor solutions to deliver more in-vehicle services. Connected infotainment systems and advanced driver assistance systems are two technologies shaping the current car market. Connected Infotainment Systems Looking at a car maker's advertisement t […]Lizzie Weakley
- Service Advisors: End Your Day with the Beginning in Mind!When you first come to work every morning, do you spend time planning your day, or do you dive right in and start working? Depending upon your role in the dealership, it may not matter that much. However, service advisors really don't have a choice. Your service department opens early and it's busy as soon as it opens. Ending your day with the begi […]Josh Blick
- Are Self-Driving Cars Safe?In our modern age, technology has become omnipresent. We rely on technology to help make our lives easier and to help us to solve problems that would otherwise take much longer without. Computers have a very big presence in society and we are seeing exponential growth not only in their complexity but their integration into many aspects of our lives. One of t […]Rachael Murphey
- SWAPALEASE.COM REPORTS DECLINE IN LEASE CREDIT APPROVALS FOR THE MONTH OF JULYSwapalease.com, the nation’s largest car lease marketplace, reports car lease credit applicants registered just a 54.3% approval rate for July. July’s credit approval rate is showing a decrease from the previous month (68.8%). A year ago the approvals rate was just slightly higher, reaching 57.7%. Overall, this year’s credit approval numbers have been somewh […]John Sternal
- Car Accidents: Why You Need to Be Protected Against Uninsured DriversShould you get involved in an automobile accident, the first question your lawyers asks is, "Does the at-the-fault party have insurance?" It can scare you to realize that the driver liable for your injuries has no insurance. The driver who causes the accident having an auto insurance auto insurance premium is crucial as the driver's insurer ca […]Lizzie Weakley
- Used Car Prices Crash To 2009 Levels Amid Glut Of Off-Lease SupplyWith Increased Volumes of three-year-old vehicles coming back into the market at the end of their Lease Terms, Used Car Prices are Crashing to their Lowest Levels Since 2009. Article below was written by Tyler Durden The U.S. auto market is at an interesting crossroads with used car prices crashing to new lows every month while new car prices continue to d […]Ralph Paglia
- Tesla – Latest Big NewsTesla said in 2nd week of Aug 2017 that it expects to bring about $1.5 billion up in a bond offering as the U.S. automaker looks to increase generation of its most current electric car, the Model 3. Car Rental Abu Dhabi The obligation offering comes as Tesla has conveyed the initial couple of Model 3s to clients, and it's producing the principal drivi […]Rahul Paul
- Auction BuzzThe Hired Gun..... Where the money is...... So.... Those of you who know me by now..... Know that I can tell a story..... Stories that can only happen to me..... Well.... About three days ago one of my students purchased a 2009 Honda Pilot at our local Manheim Auto Auction..... He wrote a check for $7590.00 .... (Including the auction fee..... ) He took […]Barry Neuman
- Emissions Cheat Devices to Be Included in Roadside ChecksIf you are a regular or a professional driver that loves listening to the news, you are probably aware that air pollution and emissions are a quite a popular topic currently. As the condition of the atmosphere worsens, humanity is looking for new and innovative ways to reduce pollution and become eco-friendlier. The fact that most of the pollution originates […]Rahul Paul
- A Successful Rewards Program Should Not Be All About RewardsLet’s face it, for every 10 businesses that exist, 9 have some sort of rewards program. While they used to be novel and exciting, customers are now used to them. They may well sign up. But, far too often, customers do so not because they are loyal, but because they happen to already be at that business. Too many companies use customer loyalty programs as […]Mike Gorun
- Simple Tips To Increase Newsletter Signups For A Car DealershipThere are countless marketing strategies that automotive industry businesses can use but the truth is that some of the older ones are still among the most effective. This does include creating newsletters and driving promotion through them. Unfortunately, this does not mean that you just create a newsletter and people are going to sign up. You do have to put […]Derek Crowden
- 3 Ways To Prepare Teen Drivers For The Real Rules Of The RoadTeaching your teen to drive is an interesting experience. While you're largely teaching them to follow certain rules, you also know that these aren't the real rules of the road. If you want them to know how to really drive, you'll need to avail yourself of some of the tips below. Put Them on the Road Perhaps the best way to prepare a teen dr […]Brooke Chaplan
- Seller Integrity: How to Assess the Honesty of a Car DealershipCar salesmen are often characterized as slick con artists who seek to take unfair advantage of their customers. In truth, many businesses that specialize in selling pre-owned and new vehicles do not deserve this reputation and go out of their way to take care of people who come to them looking for quality cars and trucks. You can locate a reputable car lot f […]Anica Oaks
- Used Vehicle Depreciation Ticks UpWelcome to this week's edition of Black Book Market Insights, with in-depth analysis of used car and truck valuation trends and insights straight from the auction lanes. Click here to download the full report. This week’s Black Book Market Insights report shows an increase in wholesale vehicle depreciation, especially in the car segments. Although cars […]Black Book
- Using digital marketing platforms to accelerate growth: Guide for Car DealersCar Dealers on the internet these days have a wide array of scopes to promote and grow their business if they only keep an open mind and know the hows and whats of the industry because digital marketing is a trend that is here to stay. This latest trend also requires that you build a strong business brand value online through various categories such as searc […]Sujain Thomas
- Phone calls not preferred research showsAre you a talker or a texter? Or do you prefer sending emails? February 2017 data show that US smartphone penetration surpassed 80 percent in 2016 (source: ComScore), making this growth the largest so far. However, the most basic function of a phone – the call – seems not to be so popular after all. As it turns out, the majority of Americans today prefer tex […]Thomas F. Jung
- J.D. Power Automotive Website Evaluation StudyAutomotive Website Evaluation Study Cross Device (AWESxD) - Mobile Website (2017) J.D. Power Finds that Delivering Great Content is Key No Matter What Device Consumers Use... AWARD RECIPIENT: Kelley Blue Book Cars.com Ranks Highest in Overall Desktop Website Satisfaction Kelley Blue Book Ranks Highest in Overall Mobile Website Satisfaction RATINGS FA […]Ralph Paglia
- Riding Solo: The 5 Best Car Models for SinglesWhether you're a single looking for a ride that's sporty, has a high towing capacity, or simply gets great gas mileage, there is a vehicle out there that is right for you. As a single person, getting a new car might spice up your life a little bit while still serving your daily driving needs. So, what are some of the most reliable and fun vehicles […]Dixie Somers
- 5 Creative Ways to Manage Your Trucker TanAs a trucker, you may spend many long hours of the day with one of your arms exposed to harsh rays of sunlight while the other arm sits in the shade. This can damage your skin and can give your body tone an uneven appearance. If you are looking for great ways to manage this issue, consider these tips. 1. Tint Your Windows If you drive your truck during peak […]Rachael Murphey
- Working with Spark Plugs in a CarOne of the important components of the most modern engines are the spark plugs. These components are subjected to a lot of stress and should be checked periodically and replaced when needed. These components can be easily replaced with little care and some tools, the method is quick and straightforward but also a methodical procedure. Replacing them will d […]William Clark
- Auto Tech: How Modern Technology is Impacting the Automobile Industry
- November 2016
- August 2016
- August 2015
- June 2015
- January 2015
- July 2014
- April 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- August 2008
- Auto Industry Professionals
- Automotive Digital Marketing
- Automotive Management
- Automotive Marketing
- Automotive Product
- Automotive Retail Management
- Automotive Sales
- Automotive Social Media
- Automotive Suppliers
- Automotive Websites
- Best Practices
- Calls to Action
- Car Dealers
- Commercial Vehicles
- Data Analysis
- Dealer Management System
- Dealer Training
- Dealer Website
- Dealers United
- Digital Marketing Strategies Conference
- Dominion Dealer Solutions
- Email Marketing
- Help Wanted
- Internet Sales Manager
- Inventory Photos
- Managed Chat
- Market Research
- Marketing Data
- Marketing Metrics
- Marketing Research
- Mergers and Acduisitions
- Mobile Marketing
- News and politics
- QR Code
- Search Engine Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization
- Social Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- String Automotive
- Tax Incentives
- TrueCar – ZAG
- Vehicle Merchandising
- Website Lead Forms
- Women Certified
- The latest Car Dealer Group Daily! paper.li/RalphPaglia/13… 1 hour ago
- @Car_Dealers @ChryslerSocial thanks for the recent engagements! #ShareTheLove 3 hours ago
- The 2018 Lexus LC 500 to co-star in Marvel's Black Panther - klou.tt/3ri2fv7xg3jo 4 hours ago
- 10 Questions to Answer Before Building Your Social Marketing Strategy klou.tt/10exwyaej6zh8 8 hours ago
- Jaguar E-Pace Hits The Gym, Comes Out As A High Performance R-S - klou.tt/1he4o0gui4gk1 9 hours ago
- Automotive Social Media Daily is out! paper.li/RalphPaglia/au… Stories via @BrentWees @AutoSocial #emailmarketing #marketing 10 hours ago
- Ralph Paglia Car Guy Daily News is out! paper.li/RalphPaglia?ed… Stories via @ClayFranklin @rema1_rema2 @BusaJoe4U #marketing #ad 16 hours ago
- The latest Automotive Thought Leader Journal! paper.li/RalphPaglia/au… Thanks to @RobFontano @WarrenMidtown #jobs #automarketing 16 hours ago
- One-Off Street-Legal Lamborghini Concept S Hits The Auction Block Again - klou.tt/mqx2q8luy5l4 23 hours ago
- The latest Car Dealer Group Daily! paper.li/RalphPaglia/13… #automarketing 1 day ago
- #FollowFriday @VolvoSocial @ISMOrg @CadillacSocial - top engaged members this week :) 1 day ago
- Several Companies Want To Buy Ducati From VW - klou.tt/t3lx3h04fjyc 1 day ago
- bit.ly/2w6qpVa 1 day ago
- How to Create An Effective Social Media Marketing Plan klou.tt/1vwlwm2nu6gzz 1 day ago
- Create A Successful Customer Experience Measurement Program - klou.tt/5wmrw4wdx0m 1 day ago
- Automotive Social Media Daily is out! paper.li/RalphPaglia/au… Stories via @lutherlowe #emailmarketing #smm 1 day ago
- Ralph Paglia Car Guy Daily News is out! paper.li/RalphPaglia?ed… Stories via @twinlodgesmoky @AlverezAmanda @sammyapproves #marketing #sales 1 day ago
- The latest Automotive Thought Leader Journal! paper.li/RalphPaglia/au… Thanks to @AprilAncira #marketing #news 1 day ago
- I'm at 수라상 in Hacienda Heights, CA swarmapp.com/c/fUvtpz2USq9 1 day ago
- 3 Types of Push Messages For a Great Customer Experience - klou.tt/ket1qyh5g5z4 1 day ago